Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Dreaded First Haircut

One of my little boys has curly hair like Mama...and usually it results in an unkempt jungle-child appearance. I've been postponing this haircut because when his hair chooses to behave, he has beautiful little angel curls around his ears and by his neck. As any mother knows, these are very treasured little bits of babyhood and it's difficult to let go of them and realize your baby is growing up. He's been looking the worse for wear the past few days, and I've finally come to terms with the inevitable: I have to clip his hair.


No, Dad, I DON'T want to pose!
I had to groom some of the curls so
I could save them for my mom.  This photo doesn't
do them justice.
The easiest way for me to trim the back was for Dad to hold him while he watched Sesame Street and occasionally checked on my progress.

The rest of the cut needed to be from his highchair because I had to get to the top of his head. It was a little difficult to keep everything even because he kept moving around, but I really think the secret is to do only a little at a time. You can always take off more, but you can't put it back.

Wes enjoys noodles for lunch after his haircut!
In the end, he didn't seem to care that he had a nice haircut. I'm glad that his hair doesn't go into his eyes and the back of it doesn't stick straight out a la mad scientist. I'm also glad that I didn't have to drag him, his brother, his father, and a bunch of baby gear to some place to have someone to cut his hair too short and then charge me for it.
But I digress. People with the proper schooling and skill know what they're doing. Just not in my area.

I think he looks quite dapper. 
Minimal hair was harmed in the making of this blog post.

I know that this post and the last haven't been the most substantial. This is mostly for our out-of-area families that missed the occasion.

Do you have a bad haircut experience that you'd care to share?

3 comments:

  1. Awww thank you for posting this!! He is such a cutie with or without jungle-child hairs! ;) I love that he has those curls like you. I have a feeling our baby will end up with lots of curly locks because Mike's hair is like yours basically!

    My worst haircut...MOM! She gave me a bowl cut when I was a couple years old. Ew. Lol...poor mom. I looked weird but hey at least I didn't realize it at the time :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were actually discussing that, you know! I think because your hair isn't totally straight, and Mike's is curly... There's gonna be a little something going on there.

    HAHAHA I'll have to ask her to show me a picture sometime. My unfortunate cuts have been recently. I didn't really get them when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Not really getting them when you were younger' doesn't quite tell the entire story. You had beautiful curls and your mother took care of them because the last thing she ever wanted was to see them cut. Ahem. So what if that lasted past high school? She evened things up from time to time, just not in any measurable quantity. :P

    ReplyDelete